Guest Book

Did you enjoy visiting Gittisham? Or do you have any comments on this website? Please tell us all about it in this Guest Book.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

14 Comments

1. Shirley
    Posted 19 September 2017 at 4:36 am | Permalink

Beautiful village. I was born here and spent all my holidays here. Love the photos. Great memories.

2. SHIRLEY DAVIES
    Posted 15 September 2017 at 4:30 am | Permalink

I was born in Gittisham and lived here for sometime with my parents and grandparents. My mother Lilian Grace Hillier was fostered by Jim and Vi Edwards who lived here for many years. She went to school here. I spent all my holidays in Gittisham and loved smelling the bread being baked. I also walked to the milking sheds which was behind the general store, to collect milk/cream. My godparents were Sid & Margaret Marks who lived here for most of their life. Just wish we didn’t live so far away (now in Australia). Love looking at the photos, thank you. My aunt lived up the waterside (as they called it). Went back in 1990 and loved the visit.

3. SHIRLEY DAVIES
    Posted 15 September 2017 at 3:17 am | Permalink

I love Gittisham. I was born here and we lived with my nana and grandad for awhile. (Jim & Vi EDWARDS) were my mothers – Lilian Grace HILLIER, foster parents). She went to school there. The house was opposite St Michael’s Church. I spent all my holidays here with them. My godparents were Sid and Margaret MARKS, they lived next door. I loved the smell of the bread being baked, and would walk to the milking shed behind the general store (run by the ‘BOYERS’) for milk/cream.
    My aunt (Grace EDWARDS/Mayne) lived up the waterside (as they called it). We made a trip back in 1990. Just wish it wasn’t so far away (I now live in Australia).
    A few years ago my mother made contact with one of her school friends – Brenda Abbott, they kept in touch until my mum passed away.
    Love looking at the photos, great memories. Thank you.

4. Amanda
    Posted 15 May 2017 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I love Gittisham. Visited here every year all my life (Dad originally came from Gittisham – went to Gittisham school and also a bell ringer). We still visit family every year and have sadly just been to a funeral for my Uncle Arthur ‘Archie Down’ in the village. Beautiful service and turn out for one special man.
    This has always felt like our second home.
    I do wish the cottages had more flower pots out. Always remember my Grandad Phillips having lovely flowers at the front of his cottage.

5. Helen Hayman
    Posted 8 February 2017 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Lovely to read visitors connections to our vibrant village , please keep them coming as each year we are holding a ‘ GIttisham Memories’ weekend , – this year will be 13 th & 14 th May in our village hall, so if you can add to our display please contact us!

6. Jim Hicks
    Posted 27 August 2016 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Some nice old cottages and church. The whole village needs a good clean up lots of junk and old furniture around some cottages and the stream needs a good clean out. The church is a nice quiet place and well looked after. If not for the mess a very picturesque village.

7. Jean Gitsham
    Posted 13 May 2016 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Hello Colin Gitsham if your Gitsham family originate from Broadclyst area I have family tree going back several generations!

8. Colin Gitsham
    Posted 10 January 2016 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Hello to the people of Gitsham, my wife and I came to your village last year so I could find out where my surname originated from. A very warm welcome indeed,very warm greeting. It made my day looking around the village wondering which cottage my ancestor lived. I am coming down in June to Bovey Tracey,and will certainly visit your charming village again. So if you see a Purple Citroen G17SHM I am back.

9. Fiona
    Posted 10 August 2015 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Hello and thanks for your comments. We are looking for views on whether people with connections to Gittisham would support more affordable housing in the village. Please see this month’s Gittisham Gazette which you can find on the website. It has details of who to get in touch with.

10. Alice Cook
    Posted 10 August 2015 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Have spent many weekends and holidays in gittisham as a child, Lots of amazing memories including; welcoming in the new millenium, spending far too much time in the stream and playing 40-40 all over the village:) wonderful memories

11. Marjorie
    Posted 31 July 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

My father William Quaintance was born in Gittisham in 1904-when my elder brother and I took our youngest aunt (only one left alive at the time) back to visit in the 1990′s, she said her mum ( our grandmother) had hated the place. My grandfather, Louis Quaintance, was a labourer to a farmer somewheres about. Grandmother used to have to get her daily water from a spring in a hedge by the brook that ran through the village. The eldest son Percy, first went to work as a bootboy at Coombe Grange.It was a private house then. His first purchase when he saved some of his wages, was a meat plate for my Grandmother, which family tradition has he ceremoniously took back when she died.
    My brother and I thought the place was quite magical when we visited it -but then we didn’t have to live there, in all weathers sans mod cons.

12. Phil Masters
    Posted 13 August 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    Just a few lines to thank all for making the Jurassic Classic event such a pleasure. Everybody was so kind and the food and drink was lovely. I hope we didn’t cause too much disruption.

Regards,
    Phil.

13. Patricia
    Posted 2 August 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

We visit Gittisham a lot and always enjoy this lovely friendly village where people seem so good at working together. Long may it remain so!

14. Clare
    Posted 9 May 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Beautiful village!
    … and the photos do it justice!