2022-12 Parish Council meeting minutes 1st December 2022

Held in Gittisham Parish Room


Village ward: Cllr C Hall (Chair), Cllr M Walker, Cllr D Valentine, Cllr A Rowe

Vale ward: Cllr J Twist (Vice Chair), Cllr P Orchard, Cllr J Fowles

In attendance: Fiona Clampin (clerk)

Apologies for absence: Cllr Phil Twiss (DCC), Cllr Alasdair Bruce (EDDC), PCSO Darren England

111/22        To accept and approve apologies

Apologies were received and accepted.

112/22        To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 15th November 2022

The clerk said she had added to minute ref. 105/22 that members had resolved to approve payments from the reserves for the Gittisham Community Kitchen until the grant from Devon Communities Together comes through. The minutes of the meeting held on 15th November 2022 were then confirmed and signed by the Chair. 

113/22        To receive the Beat Manager’s Report

The clerk said the latest crime figures had been reported at the November meeting.

114/22        To receive declarations of interest

Cllrs Twist and Walker declared an interest in agenda item 11, as they are members of Gittisham PCC (minute ref. 121/22).  Cllr Orchard declared an interest in agenda item 12, as he is due to be reimbursed by the council (minute ref. 122/22).

115/22        To consider actions from the last meeting not otherwise on the agenda

Cllr Walker reported that an officer from EDDC had been to visit the garages at Church Mead.

The Chair thanked members for helping distribute the 500 flyers which explain how EDDC’s emerging Local Plan would affect the parish.  Councillors agreed there was anxiety over the proposals, but the Chair encouraged everyone to respond to the public consultation as the volume of responses is taken into account.  Some members said they would be able to attend the drop-in sessions.  The flyer will also be distributed with the digital version of December’s Gittisham Gazette, and all agreed that it could run additionally in January as the deadline for comments is 15th January.  A petition was also discussed.  Cllr Valentine said he would be adding more detail to the response he had drafted so far, and would bring it back to January’s PC meeting.

ACTION: All to encourage residents to respond to the public consultation.

116/22        Reports from County Council and District Council representatives

In his absence Cllr Twiss sent the following report:

The Jurassic network design work continues, now that the company has received an updated list of the properties that would access the service.  Cllr Twiss said he had signed off his Locality budget contribution in respect of ‘comfy’ chairs at the Village Hall.  Members resolved to approve payment of £150 for these from the reserves, until the DCC grant comes through.

In his absence, Cllr Bruce wished parish councillors and all residents a happy Christmas.

117/22     To receive reports from councillors on areas of responsibility and actions since the last meeting:

  • To note the latest planning decision notices

22/2291/FUL – Gittisham Farm – roof over existing open livestock yard. Approval.

  • To receive an update on Highways

16 January overnight road closure under Iron Bridge for bridge inspection.

  • To consider plans for expenditure in the parish under the Community Infrastructure Levy & S106

Cllr Orchard said there was no update on this.

  • To receive an update on public transport

Cllr Orchard said some odd items were appearing in the Vale bus shelter once again.

  • To consider climate change measures within the parish, including proposals for rewilding land in the parish

Cllr Twist said there was no update on this.

  • To consider parish council support for scam awareness and security

Cllr Twist reported that millions of ‘phone users will be better protected from spoof calls which imitate legitimate organisations such as banks, as the telecoms watchdog announces a change in rules next year.  These will hopefully be brought into force by 15th May 2023.

There has been an upsurge in fake emails purporting to be from TV licensing and the DVLA to lure people into giving away their bank details.  There has also been a sharp increase in scams on Facebook marketplace, as Christmas looms and people look for bargains online.

  • To consider limited residential development in the parish

Cllr Valentine reported that there was no update on the signing of the option agreement.

  • To consider making an application for a permissive path, Goldcombe-Hayne Lane

The clerk reported there was no update on this.

  • To consider the refurbishment and maintenance of the village play area

The Chair said the crab apple tree destined for the play area had been planted, along with a spindle. She said she was waiting for the right moment to plant the hedge plants from the Woodland Trust.

  • To consider work to be carried out by the lengthsman to maintain ditches and drains in the parish

Cllr Walker said Len Abbott had mentioned the drain at Rapshayes to her, which he’d discussed with Cllr Twiss in the summer of 2021 but DCC has not carried out any work on it to date.  In addition, the lengthsman reported that Pig Sty corner needs digging out, but members were uncertain of whose responsibility this is. 

ACTION: Cllr Walker to speak to Len Abbott about clearing the ditch above Pomeroy Lodge.

118/22     To receive a report from the Chair

The Chair thanked all members for their work on behalf of the parish, and wished all a happy Christmas.

119/22     To consider decorating and / or refurbishing the parish council’s bus shelters

The clerk said the three noticeboards had been ordered.

120/22     To consider donations to organisations under S137 and Transport

Members agreed to donate £100 each to TRIP, Operation Rudolph and Diabetes UK, subject to the clerk checking the correct amount per elector that is permitted. Payment to be issued at next meeting.

121/22     To consider donations to organisations under S137 and Transport

Cllrs Walker and Twist left the meeting.

The Chair explained that the parish council had taken legal advice from DALC on whether it could help Gittisham PCC with the cost of maintaining the lych gate / war memorial.  The clerk agreed to circulate the legal advice to members, and suggested that the parish council might, in principle, be able to help towards the cost of appointing a surveyor to establish the state of the war memorial.  Gittisham PCC should provide an idea of the cost.  Other grants may be available to cover the cost of repairs and maintenance.

Cllrs Walker and Twist returned to the meeting.

122/22     To approve the December payments and to note the current bank balance

Members resolved to approve the following payments:

1202      F Clampin            £228.74 Clerk’s salary

1203      F Clampin            £38.09 Clerk’s expenses (1 x 2nd class stamp & printer ink)

1204      Michael Poll        £65        Grass cutting, inv. ref. 10190

Cllr Orchard left the meeting

1205     Peter Orchard      £125   Reimbursement for Sidmouth Print 500 flyers, Local Plan

Cllr Orchard returned to the meeting.          

1206      Gittisham PCC £42.50  5 x months’ parish room hire, Aug-Dec 2022 

1207     Sara Trumper      £218.20   Reimbursement for food & sundries, Gittisham Community Kitchen

1208    Noticeboard Co    £1,010.68   3 x magnetic noticeboards for bus shelters

DD         NEST                   £22.86   Clerk’s pension  

Members were informed that the current bank balance stands at £21,663.50 (which includes approximately £7,000 in the business reserve account).  Cheque no. 1209 for £150 for the village hall comfy chairs was wrongly addressed. Payment will be issued at the next meeting, and included in January’s items for payment.

123/22     To update the parish council’s banking policy and existing bank mandate

The clerk said the request had been sent to update the mandate, and an application made for Bankline for Communities.  Cllr Twist reported she had confirmed her ID with Nat West.

124/22     To approve and sign the annual CIL report 2021/22

The clerk distributed details of CIL income and expenditure for 2021/22.  Members resolved to approve the document, and it was signed by the Chair.

ACTION: Clerk to upload the CIL document 2021/22 and send to EDDC.

125/22     To receive a report from the clerk regarding items highlighted in the annual internal audit report 2021-22

The clerk said Clare Bryden had set up new email accounts for all councillors with the domain name gittisham.org.uk.  Cllr Rowe explained to members how to set these addresses up. 

126/22     Clerk’s Report

The clerk said she had chased the postbox request with Royal Mail, but there was no progress to report.

127/22     For information only; items for the forward agenda

Budget, precept, Local Plan.

128/22     To consider any late entry correspondence


129/22     Date of next two meetings  

Thursday 5th January and Thursday 2nd February 2023 at 7.30pm. 

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 2100 hrs.


5th January 2023